Tuesday, July 1, 2008

more MIM photos and....some advice





Well heres the deal- I am about to go on a very well deserved vacation. Before I go, I decided to make a list of some needed advice that I have for dancers and choreographers.




Here goes-
* If you choreographed a piece, then do not dance in it. Something always suffers that way... (either you, your choreography or the other dancers). You just can not do it all.
* Tech rehearsal means wear the costume you are going to perform in so that the lighting person can light you properly.
* Dont sing the words to the song while you perform unless it is part of the choreography
* Rehearse in all the clothes and accessories that you plan to perform in to ensure that you do not lose part of your costume on stage. Ive seen millions of hats, earrings, bandanas, belts,... you name it , that have fallen on stage from dancers.
* Dont act out every word to every song when you choreograph. It looks like "dance for the hearing impaired" that way.
* Dont be afraid to look completely different. There is no one exactly like you. celebrate that!
* Allow yourself to be inspired by your dancers. (That is HUGE for me.)
* If you are trying to really impress, make sure all the dancers are equally strong... When companies audition for the SF Hip Hop DanceFest, I always end up watching the weakest dancer on stage.

Well thats it for now cause I got things to do before I go. Im not the type who finds computers on vacation, so I will be back with the blog on July 11th! I will be teaching my classes again starting July 12th! SoulForce will be teaching my classes while I am gone (enjoy!)

Much Love and Respect-
Micaya

No comments: