Monday, March 23, 2009

A little at a time..

Well there is SO much new stuff going on with the SF Hip Hop DanceFest. All is good, just a lot of changes and such. Sooo-I am going to give it to you.. in pieces..

OK so the biggest news is that the woman who started the DanceFest with me, my "sister" Sterling, is slowly fading herself out of her responsibilities with the SFHHDF. WOW! ..Ok I kinda knew that it was happening due to the fact that her life is getting fuller and busier with her 2 young sons. I somehow knew that she would be pulling herself out so emotionally I was sort of ready. She and I both are a little excited to have new people doing her job/s. For those of you who dont know, Sterling was the graphic designer/photographer and web designer/programmer for the DanceFest. HUGE!
So we are trying to hire three new people to fill this womans shoes!

11 years ago, she and I sat down with a very playful and fun atmosphere and created ideas that have now become the oldest and first dance festival dedicated to hip hop dance. She created all the images that are now associated with this legendary event. She put up with my crazy ways of doing things. She allowed me to dream and congratulated me through all the successes. Every time the was an opportunity for the DanceFest to get ANY recognition, she ALWAYS turned the spotlight away from herself and on me.
Let me tell you this---
I absolutely would NOT have ever been able to do this without her back then. She gave me the strength, inspiration, courage and support to be able to take this dream to what it is today. The is just NO fucking way I would have done this without her. I owe her so much appreciation for this. Thank you thank you thank you!

On top of all that I love her so much. So now she has helped me take the DanceFest more in my own hands.
So my biggest concern now is that I will always be in her life. I have never met anyone like her. There are so many parts of my life that have been affected by knowing her. The way she sees the world is a constant entertainment to her. I must sound like Im gushing on and on right now, but the more I write this, the more emotional I am getting. I have been in a semi state of shock since she told me the news. I knew that I had to process it for a while. It looks like writing this little blog entry is REALLY helping me process this!

Bottom line-
I am so grateful to have had her in my life .
I want us to always be friends.
I love her dearly.

Thank you Sterling for being my partner for 10 years of the SF Hip Hop DanceFest and thank you for being my friend-

Love and respect
Micaya

2 comments:

moviequyn said...

sterling is the greatest!!!

Dudley said...

Sterling is and always has been a superstar in my book. And the two of you (and the rest of the SFHHDF team) have done great things for the SF Bay Area dance scene. Thank you both!!