Monday, March 30, 2009

Open your mouth and say ARGGGGHHHHHH!



Hey Im taking a very small break from updating you with DanceFest news to let you in on the horror of an experience it is to be self employed and get health care coverage in this country. Frightening ! I had thought that I was hooked up when I applied for health insurance through a group policy through the NASE (National Association for the Self Employed) . Well last July I had a very terrible "illness" when I returned form Mexico from vacation. I was SO sick! I couldnt eat, had a fever, and felt like I had been run over by a truck for about 5 days . I was severely dehydrated . I still am not sure if I had salmonella, e coli or what but I ended up going to the emergency room . What a stupid idea that was! What the fuck was I thinking? First of all- they didnt ever diagnose me (beyond calling it a "virus") . Secondly- I felt WORSE when I left the emergency room than when I went in. Sounds impossible but I swear its true because the drugs they gave me made me sicker. Yuck-

So here is the real shitty part-- MY BILL
For this one time freaking sucky ass incident, I had to pay $6000 ! Wonderful insurance plan huh?

And on top of that, my insurance RAISED my rate $1000 this year because of that incident. BULLSHIT!

So today I am shopping around for a new health insurance. Ive been talking to Blue Shield and am waiting for a rep to call me back because I have questions about their 12 page application. sigh....

So all you dancers out there- try to get a job with health coverage - or maybe you are lucky enough to have a family member or spouse that can put you on their policy . Otherwise you gotta do what Im doing at some point. I went without any insurance for a long time but at some point you got to be smart and cover your ass. I will let you know how it goes with Blue Shield but I strongly DO NOT recommend going with MEGA insurance which is what I was using through the NASE.

Love and respect
Micaya

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

if you live in SF you can use the SF free health clinics and pay on sliding scale!