Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Auditions last Sunday

photo of Fae Salfiti , director of Bliss dance Company

Last Sundays event was a huge experiment for me. It was the first time I had ever opened up the auditions for the public to watch.
I made this decision because i thought it would benefit the companies who were auditioning , the panel and the public.


Last week, right before the auditions day, about 4 companies dropped out of the line up. In addition, there were 2 companies that were no shows on the day of the event itself.


As you can imagine , It was a expense to rent the Cowell Theatre. I felt as if it would have been worth it if: 1. There were more companies that auditioned and 2. that there were more audience members who came to the show. The SFHHDF is always struggling financially to keep afloat since we are arts and donor funded. In terms of funds alone, last Sunday was not a success.


However I must share this with you,
For the past 5 or 6 years , the youth group from Vacaville, Bliss Dance company has auditioned for the SF Hip hop DanceFest . Each year they have not received and invitation to be booked for the show. The closest they got was to be an alternate company one year just in case something happened to a company that was scheduled to perform. Each year the panel gives them constructive feedback and each year they audition , the panel sees and acknowledges their growth.
In addition, each year I invite them to perform at my other annual show, Mission in the Mix, as well as support them in any other way I possibly can. The kids are sweet humble adorable and talented.

Yesterday I had the emotional honor to call them to say that they will be invited to perform this year for the 12th Annual SF Hip Hop DanceFest. It was tearful and precious and it made Sunday worthwhile!




I am obviously going to make some huge changes to how I book local companies next year. I need to think on that for a while before I make my decisions.

Love and Respect
Micaya

No comments: