Thursday, June 26, 2008

Dancers- "BE OPEN"















I often say that the biggest blessing I was given as a dancer, choreographer and teacher is that I studied many different styles of dance. Being able to access the many different dance forms that I have learned has made my ability to express myself much richer and diverse. Its like I have more chapters in my reference library.
When I teach a class, I try to give my students many different styles so that they can have an advantage of being versatile. I hope that they understand and appreciate what I am trying to do for them. Sometime I wonder if they do...
Much Love and Respect
Micaya

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate what you do! As an "aspiring want to be a dancer", I want to be able to dance to any music and any feeling I like at any style that feels authentic.

Just as a human person I am not always happy, sometimes I am sad, or mad, or sappy or quiet or jumpy, I want to be able to dance all of that because that's how I am true to myself.

Besdies, training in different styles gives us the vocabulary and ideas to come up with our own stuff later on, through synthesis of different influences.

I think that's what "American" dancing is all about, blending and mixing it together. Africa, West Europe, Spain, Native America...

So that's why I study everything, Ballet, Jazz, Hip Hop, African, Latin... Then I can fuse it myself.

If I was influenced just by one style of dancing, that it's like having sex with your cousin - same gene pool so all the children are inbred weirdos.

See you in class 2nite!