Wednesday, March 24, 2010

HEY





















So I decided to try and volunteer again for the SPARK program. This is the program I wrote about last year that didnt end up happening. Basically, here is what it is. They go to middle school students and ask them what their ideal dream job would be and then match them with a mentor who does that job. The program lasts for about 6 weeks and you meet once a week.
What a great idea huh?

Well so far I have yet to participate. Last year the father of the boy I was paired with did not want the boy to dance so we never got to even meet. This year, there was some drama with the young man moving or something. Once again, I never even got to meet him either.

This is leading me to wonder if some people just can not handle something so awesome. know what i mean? It may sound strange, but if a person does not feel worthy, it will be hard for them to accept something.
Im not sure if this applies to my students because it sounds like they both were victim to their parental decisions.

But for some reason that concept is ringing heavily in my soul.

Love and Respect
Micaya

2 comments:

♥ Ashley May ♥ said...

I work with second graders in a low income area (I'm a reading tutor) and sometimes the parents make the decisions that hurt the kids the most. You just have to accept that you tried your best and taking an interest may encourage the child more than you know. Perhaps for that child knowing that there is a professional dancer like yourself is enough to encourage him to pursue his dream despite his parent's objection.

SFhiphopDanceFest said...

Thanks Ashley!