Monday, April 19, 2010

better late than never

I know I told you over a week ago that I was going to judge the competition for the collaboration show. I forgot to tell you all how it went. sorry.

Well the show was in San Ramon, which is far. Greg Chapkiss tends to present his shows all over the Bay rather than just in one place. I think that it was well located for most of the people however because they were coming from a lot of different places including Sacramento.

Greg always puts on these shows with MANY MANY dancers in them. Because he invites so many "crews" to perform or compete, there ends up to be a lot of people backstage. I am certain that there are more people in his shows than in the audience. Not that his audience is small, it is just that there are THAT many performers.
He also has his students and his own "crew" perform. Greg has always been an awesome dancer and he does amazing things in Vallejo with his studio Dance Unlimited. He has a lot of folks up in that big old studio!

Anyway the "crew" that won was called Step Brothers. They were quite good and one of the only groups that included a theatrical element to their piece. In second place was Academy of Villans which I think really was a tie with first place because it was stunning.

At the end of the show before they announced the winner, Greg surprised me by bringing me up on stage and presenting me with an award for my work in the hip hop dance community. That was very thoughtful of him. I accepted the award on behalf of the entire local hip hop dance community since they were my inspiration.

Love and respect
Micaya

song used in class this week
"Rude Boy" by Rhianna

No comments: