Saturday, May 1, 2010

Breakin Convention Day 1





Ok I will try to tell you as much as I can but this will be an ongoing topic for a little while. I attended the first day of the Breakin Convention in London today and was impressed by what I saw so far.

I will be here for 2 more days. The festival runs three days and hosts many different companies from all over the world. Today I saw a lot of companies perform.

Jonzi D is the artistic director and I think that we both have very similar tastes in what talent we book for our festivals. I was greeted by the very awesome staff who hooked me up with the best seats ever , hotel reservations and such. If I had a staff like them, I would be able to rest a little. They got it under control honey!

I took photos of the theatre because it is enormous and beautiful. It has three floors of seating plus a floor on the ground level for people to stand and watch.

The two companies that really stood out to me tonight were Compagnie Mira from France and Renegade from Germany. Here are some notes I took while watching the shows tonight.

Compagnie Mira is a husband and wife duet company whose piece they performed tonight was very cohesive. It was a story of their love and relationship which at times was so intimate that you felt you knew them personally. However it had a huge relate-ability to it which made it so so sweet. I too have felt so many of the same things that felt on that stage and they took me on the journey very gracefully.

The piece runs about 30 minutes, in my opinion a bit too long. Thre is alot that goes on in the piece: they sometimes speak (in french but it doesnt matter- i understood anyway). They danced to french music , very fresh -

As in love and relationships, Of course encounter their combative moments. I felt at times I was watching a conversation they were having with their movement.At times it was funny and light and at other times it took on a heavy realness.They had a beautiful artistic sense and had interesting ways of using the stage.

So yeah I loved it. It was the first piece I saw tonight and was blown away by it for sure...

Ok I am tired -- more tomorrow

Love and respect
Micaya

No comments: