Sunday, May 9, 2010

Continuing

Image - Pro Phenomen form France

I am continuing with my experiences at Breakin Convention last weekend.

Interlude from UK
Youth dance company - many young people on stage at once. There was a little girl that was workin it!
They did a MJ tribute (actually, several youth companies did a MJ tribute) which I think is weird . Only my opinion people so dont get your panties in a bunch. But I wouldnt have let my child anywhere near the man - so why would I want a child doing a tribute to him...

moving on --

A Diaspoa Collective from UK
I Loved this piece. It consisted of 5 very talented women expressing their frustrations of womanhood. There were very powerful moments of "internal dialogue" as I call it. The dancers in my company hear me say that phrase a lot. It's when you KNOW the dancers are doing more than just dancing. Know what i mean?
The dancing was super beautiful nonetheless. It was a mixture of contemporary, house, african styles that were earthy as well as intricate. One dancer has on a microphone somewhere n her body and she does spoken word and dances! Every moment is riveting and creative. The lines they create feel original and their sequences are captivating. The soloist was great.
They almost lost me at the end when they walked around for a bit. I wasnt sure of the significance of that. Otherwise this was a real TREAT to witness.

Pro-Phenomen from France
Awesome y'all. Im trying to book them now and bring them here to the SFHHDF this November. I cant wait to share them with the Bay. Beautiful musicality, very clever- f*&%in Beautiful!

More later
Love and Respect
Micaya

Music I used in class this week
Marin- Outta control by E-40
SF Beginner class- Drop it Low by Chris Brown
SF Intermediate class - Makin Love by Neyo and Fabolous

No comments: