Thursday, May 6, 2010

Going on---

Here is some more performance info for the Breakin Convention-
Spread Expression From UK.
This was a very heavy, intense piece about slavery that still exists on this planet. i got very consumed with this piece. It took me there---
There was a platform onstage with ropes of some sort and the dancers would get entangled in this structure. The danced at first to a voice talking about facts of existing slavery . There were occasional explosions that were alarming.
The movement was strong - present - fierce-powerful- beautiful!
I must admit that the women in the piece were WAY more captivating than the men-
Toward the end of the piece, I wondered if the dancers would be "freed"- to give the audience some kinda of hope. I had a strong feeling that they wouldnt be and that was fine with me , but I sensed that the audience would have preferred a different ending.

Robert Hylton from UK
This is a piece that I have seen footage of before. They submitted this piece to me last year for the 11th annual SFHHDF but I did not book it. It is a 10 minute popping piece that explores the human body's physical reaction to movement. Even though the movement is captivating and the dancers are incredibly skilled, I cant listen to the sound of bones cracking for 10 minutes! Im not sure if everyone feels the same way as I do, but I find it personally irritating. 10 minutes of bones cracking and popping? I dont know know- I just dont prefer to hear that.

Jane Sekoyna John from South Africa
This was another very intense piece that consumed me as well. It was a solo piece that was heavy at times and light at times. The story is about an old woman that every time she puts on this hat, it transforms her to her younger self- taking her through her past experiences.
She is very lovable and relatable and does an excellent job of storytelling and dance. The piece is super fresh and cute with some heavy moments of the protests in South African history.
I absolutely LOVED this piece!!!!

More later

LOVE AND RESPECT
Micaya

No comments: