Monday, May 24, 2010

why


For as long as I have been doing what I do, I have never used the term "dance crew".
For some reason, I just dont like it. I have used the the term dance company since the beginning and Im sticking to it. To me it gives it more artistic credibility to say "dance company".
Dance Crew reminds me of a team, a sport-- which is great ..but where is the art?
And if hip hop dance is fighting to get its well deserved respect and credibility as a legitimate art, then wouldnt it be good to support that with what you want to be called?

I realize always that these terms have their origins and roots and I do not want to take a way from/disrespect that. But I have witnessed an evolution of the artistry that in this dance form...

So-- if you have ever wondered why you have never heard me use the term dance team or dance crew.. now you know why..

much love and respect
Micaya

No comments: