Thursday, April 10, 2008

Dedicated to Gary


As many of you know the hip hop dance community lost a huge member last December. Gary Kendall was more than a special soul, but that is what I remember about him the most. Of course we will all remember his one of a kind dancing style, but I remember his smile and his constant positive energy. As soon as I learned that we lost him, there was no doubt that the DanceFest would be dedicated to him. When the DanceFest first started in 1999, Gary performed with Mind Tricks. They were always the hit of the show.
Later Gary ended up training dancers in such places as Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa. These dancers ended up getting his style so well that they performed his choreography for the DanceFest on several occasions. (who would have thought that anyone could get so many santa rosa kids to dance so well!).
This is not his bio at all because he did SO much more than what I have written here. He travelled the world , performed with countless companies and taught countless students. No this is just what he meant to me, this is just what an important figure he was here in the Bay, as a performer, teacher, choreographer and soul. Many young men looked to him as a father figure ... I find that so beautiful.
I must say however, when I was around Gary I always felt motherly. In the way that a mamma feels when she wants to support her kids, but also to get their shit together. know what i mean?
anyway I am sure there will be more about Gary to come later. thats enough for now
much love and respect

No comments: