Friday, April 25, 2008

Listen and Learn

SO I lost my voice, so the past few days have been kinda frustrating. I'm cool for my regular life, but it is very hard to teach class! The classes that I taught yesterday were hilarious. I am very thankful that I have assistants because they pretty much interpreted what I needed to say (well ..sort of, that was the funny part!)
What I also realized is that I DO talk a lot in my classes. Its not just about being a good dancer and demonstrating the moves and expecting people to imitate them. To be a good teacher requires SO much more than that. Its about watching your students and relaying to them what they are doing (or not doing). My students expect my feedback and my ability to express teaching movement in a very understandable way.

If you are in a dance class and your teacher says NOTHING, please beware that you can only learn so much. Don't get me wrong, you CAN learn through watching movement alone, but it is only a partial learning process. Your teacher should be able to EXPLAIN and DEMONSTRATE, know what i mean ?

There is a big difference between being a good teacher and a good dancer. A HUGE difference...

with respect and love

No comments: