Friday, April 11, 2008

Pay Your Dues Dancers!

Back in the day ( I feel old just SAYING that) we used to have the saying "pay your dues". It referred to dancers getting their experience and training before they felt ENTITLED to perform professionally.
I do not hear this saying anymore and I find that disappointing. It seems to me today that young dancers today really do feel more ENTITLED than ever. Not sure why. These days I see folks that feel like they should be instructors, performers and choreographers way before their time, before they "paid their dues".

I offer a performance workshop once a year to give students an opportunity to learn how to perform. This is such a valuable opportunity because it is a supportive and constructive experience which builds performance skills to a whole notha level.
My performance workshop class will perform 6 times at my annual community show "Mission in the Mix" .You cant really LEARN how to perform unless you DO IT. This workshop is golden because students work very hard to learn a piece, then they have the opportunity to perform it for 2 weekends straight. This helps dancers learn about consistency in performing and the skills it takes to be a performer.
Check it out if you are interested. - all details are at www.micaya.com -
much love and much respect

No comments: